Is Bread Vegan? Here’s What You Need to Know.
Is bread vegan? Here’s the good news—the answer is usually yes! The core ingredients of bread are flour, water, salt, and yeast, which are all perfectly suitable for vegans. However, there are some exceptions.
Which Breads Are Vegan?
Ready to carbo load? You’re in luck! Most of your local grocery store’s bread aisle is likely vegan—bagels, sliced bread, loaves, many rolls and buns, pita bread, flatbread, and more! So what are you waiting for? Grab a hefty loaf of sourdough and go to town. Just make sure to check the ingredients first.
Common Non-vegan Ingredients in Bread
Unfortunately, not all breads are plant-based. Some could be made with dairy, egg wash, or a cheesy topping, so it’s important to check the ingredients before making your purchase. One of the easiest ways to do this is by checking the allergy warning at the bottom of its ingredient list. “Contains dairy” or “contains eggs” should be clearly listed there. You can also scan the full list for these non-vegan ingredients:
- Casein: a protein found in cows’ milk
- Caseinate: a compound derived from casein
- Sodium Caseinate: a compound derived from casein
- Whey: the liquid remaining after milk has been curdled and strained
Possible Non-vegan Ingredients in Bread
- Mono- and Diglycerides: glycerides that can either be plant-based or sourced from animal fat (It’s impossible to know which one it is without contacting the manufacturer, so it may be better to avoid this ingredient.)
- Lecithin: a mixture of fats found in many products, including egg yolk, sunflower, soybeans, milk, fish, animal fat, canola seeds, and cotton seeds (Plant-based versions like soy lecithin are vegan.)
- DATEM (Diacetyl Tartaric Ester of Monoglyceride): an emulsifier sometimes used to strengthen the gluten network in dough (While DATEM is often vegan, it may contain animal fat.)
There you have it! We hope this information helps you feel confident diving into your favorite plant-based breads. Hungry for more info? Check out this beginners guide to cooking tofu!