Eggo to Release a Fully Vegan Chicken and Waffle Sandwich
Kellogg’s is teaming up with MorningStar Farms to create plant-based chicken and waffles! The Belgian Liège-style waffle sandwich stuffed with vegan chicken will be released at select retailers sometime this year. Since this year has only a few months left, that’s not too long to wait!
To create its first plant-based waffle, Eggo swapped chicken eggs for soy flour and wheat gluten. It also chose to go with Liège-style waffles, described as “a bit thicker and sturdier, making them a perfect bun for this new vegan Chik’n & Waffle sandwich.” Customers can expect each box they purchase to contain two Eggo Liège-style waffle sandwiches with MorningStar Farms Incogmeato plant-based chik’n. Joe Beauprez, marketing director for Eggo, stated:
With chicken and waffles already known and loved by waffle fans, we came together with MorningStar Farms to bring a plant-based twist on this classic dish to tables this year.
Last year, Eggo released a vegetarian version of a chicken and waffle sandwich using a non-vegan buttermilk waffle. Despite being released only through a one-day giveaway on National Waffle Day, it captured a lot of attention and drew disappointed responses from customers hoping for a vegan-friendly version. Beauprez said:
Waffle lovers went wild for our Eggo x MorningStar Farms Incogmeato collaboration last year, so we knew we wanted to be able to bring the perfect pairing to even more people this year. That meant creating our first-ever vegan waffle, to give any waffle lover the opportunity to enjoy our new sandwich.
Vegan Pancakes and Waffles
Can’t wait for this exciting new waffle option? Why not make your own in the meantime! Plenty of vegan pancake and waffle mixes are already available in stores. If you don’t see one of these at your local supermarket, you can easily order any of them online to be shipped right to your door:
- Pearl Milling Company Original Pancake & Waffle Mix (substitute the milk and egg for vegan versions)
- Birch Benders Pancake & Waffle Mix in blueberry, organic chocolate chip, organic classic, organic confetti, plant protein, and sweet potato
- Bisquick Original Pancake & Baking Mix (substitute the milk and egg for vegan versions)
- Kashi gluten-free frozen waffles in cinnamon, original, blueberry, or seven grain
- Nature’s Path organic frozen waffles in pumpkin spice, buckwheat wild berry, blueberry grain, chocolate chip grain-free, dark chocolate chip, homestyle, and Chia Plus™
- Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Toaster Waffles
Hungry for more delicious plant-based breakfasts? Check out our ultimate guide to quick and delicious vegan breakfast products.