In Honor of July 4th: Homemade Vegan Blackberry Pie Recipe
This delicious, soy-free vegan recipe yields one 9-inch pie.
Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (crust needs to chill for 1 hour in fridge before use)
Bake Time: 40–45 minutes
Flaky Vegan Pie Crust Ingredients
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1½ teaspoons salt
¾ cup vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance, + 6 additional tablespoons
½ cup cold water + 3 additional tablespoons
Vegan Blackberry Pie Filling Ingredients
5 cups fresh blackberries
½ cup organic granulated sugar + additional ¼ cup
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons nondairy milk, such as almond or coconut milk
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Pie Crust Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar.
2. Using a fork or a pastry blender, cut the vegan margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Take extra caution that you don’t overmix.
3. Drizzle half of the chilled water over the mixture and then gently toss using your fingers.
4. Drizzle the other half in and toss again.
5. Use the open palm of your hand to press down the dough to compress it.
6. Break up the dough with your fingers and compress it again.
7. Cut the dough in half inside the bowl with a spatula.
8. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap, compress it to a 4-inch disc and chill in the refrigerator from 1 hour to 3 days—the dough can be kept in the freezer for up to 6 months for later use if desired.
9. While the dough is chilling, make the blackberry pie filling (below).
10. After pie crust is finished chilling, cut two pieces of parchment paper to 12 inch by 12 inch size.
11. Unwrap one of the dough disks, place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper, and cover it with the other sheet of parchment paper.
12. Roll the dough out from the center until it goes out to the edges of the parchment paper.
13. Remove the top layer of parchment paper and carefully flip the dough over into a pie pan.
14. Remove the other piece of parchment paper and form the dough to the pie pan.
15. Go around the perimeter and tuck and fold the outer edge so that it’s uniform with the edge of the pie pan and flute the dough with your fingers or press the edges down with the end of a fork to shape. Reserve remaining dough for the lattice top.
16. For the lattice crust, use second dough ball, roll out flat, and cut into ½ strips. Across the pie make perpendicular crisscrosses with one strip under and one strip over, like you are weaving a basket—this is the lattice.
17. Pinch edges along the side.
Pie Filling Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Combine 3½ cups berries with the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and flour.
3. Mash up the berry mixture slightly.
4. Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell (your unbaked vegan pie shell!).
5. Spread the remaining 1½ cups whole blackberries on top of the sweetened, semi-mashed berries and cover with the lattice crust (see above).
6. Brush the top crust with nondairy milk and sprinkle with a bit of sugar (¼ cup sugar max—I used about 1–2
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
8. Cool on wire rack.
Serve with your favorite nondairy vanilla ice cream or this simple coconut whipped cream!