9 Fascinating Facts That Will Change How You See Chickens
1. Hens begin communicating with their chicks before they even hatch. When the babies are still inside their shells, the mother hen clucks softly to them and they chirp back.
2. Chickens have exceptional color vision. In fact, their retinas can detect some ultraviolet wavelengths, which are invisible to the human eye!
3. Chickens pass down knowledge from generation to generation.
4. Chickens experience rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, meaning they experience vivid dreams just like we do!
5. Chickens are able to recognize over 100 individual faces, not only of their fellow chickens, but also of humans.
6. Chickens are able to understand that recently hidden objects still exist. This is beyond the capability of a 2 year old child.
7. Chickens use over 20 distinct vocalizations for communication.
8. Chickens can empathize with peers in danger and use their previous experiences to inform decision making.
9. According to Smithsonian, there are more chickens in the world than any other bird species.
Unfortunately, the majority of chickens are confined on cruel factory farms. And whether they are being raised for their meat or eggs, they are all subjected to extreme confinement, mutilations without painkillers, and a ruthless slaughter.
You can take a stand for chickens and other animals every time you eat by choosing delicious veg-friendly foods. Click here to order your FREE Vegetarian Starter Guide.